Saturday, May 15, 2010

The smartest place to eat in Boston!

I don't know about you, but I love a good hideaway cafe, they make you feel like you are in on a secret, or that once you step inside, you are sheltered from the rest of the bustling activity that bombards you on a daily basis.
There is one such cafe hidden within the vast murals and bookshelves of the Boston Public Library in Copley Square. It is always so surprising to me when I find out how many people, who live so close, have never even set foot within the parameters of this beautiful building. Sure it may seem a bit daunting from the outside and you may get lost the first couple of times, but once you begin to be familiar with this place, you are guaranteed to begin a great comraderie that will keep you coming back. It is truly one of the city's best resources and it is free!

Going back to the secret cafe, the BPL houses a little room where you can go to pick up salads, sandwiches, baked goods, soups, coffee-all the items you would expect of a local cafe. They are all reasonably priced but the best part is of course the seating area, which is littered with comfy chairs, tables to set up your work or reading and best of all, a beautiful Grecian courtyard with greenery and chairs surrounding a flourishing fountain. On a beautiful sunny day, this is probably the best place you can go in Boston.

I have set up shop in this courtyard a few times just to be calm and tranquil alongside whatever work I had on my person. Yesterday, I went with my dad and just had a light snack and a chat. My dad got their lentil soup and I go some fruit with a fabulous latte. The staff were very accommodating and when they didn't have what I asked for (they were out of stock by that time of day, but because of all their other positive attributes, I forgive them twice over), they provided me with a satisfying alternative.

It was a great little break to my day, one I feel that many people would benefit from.

Next time you feel like stepping outside your world of mayhem, stop by the BPL and just relax with your cup of coffee and muffin. Enjoy the soothing trickle of the fountain and the delicate chirping of birds...it's seriously therapeutic...and you really do come out feeling quite intellectual!

No comments:

Post a Comment