Friday, November 5, 2010

Heat up with some Mexican dining



I think the weather has made it pretty clear that we have made the shift towards colder days...I don't know about you, but I am not ready....I feel like I am falling down a hill with too much momentum and I can't stop myself!! It's like being in a dream, only this is no dream!
Luckily, there are some things I know I can grab onto as we plunge into the depths of winter....one is the reassuring warmth and glow of Mexican fare.
I went and checked out one such spot in the Back Bay area a few days ago. Just relocated from Brighton, Zocalo has reopened right across from Back Bay station where Bertucci's used to be not too long ago.  A nice little spot tucked away from the bustle of clarendon street, it is a great place to go for an after dinner drink or a full blown meal. 
They have a wonderful drink menu complete with sangria flights and mean looking margaritas and their appetizers are cunning to say the least.  With guacamole and ceviches made right in front of you and other delicious shareable treats it makes for a fabulous social setting.
My friend and I came with appetites, and a list of stories to catch up on so we started the night with a pitcher of their original sangria.  It was a little watery to begin with, but once I sent it back it was nice and fruity, perhaps not to rival the sangria I had in Spain...but what can you do.
We then got the tuna ceviche which came in a large martini glass and a basket of house made and (key word) - warm - tortilla chips. We also got their Botana Mexicana, or their sampler appetizer platter, which came with griddled corn on the cob, plantains stuffed with pulled pork, crème fraîche, avocado and pickled onions, chicken taquitos and tamales (steamed corn meal stuffed with shredded chicken, pork or vegetables wrapped in a banana leaf). Everything was delicious, my favorite were the plantains, the combination of sweet and savory really hit the spot.
We also split their fish tacos which were very well done. They had a special sauce and some slaw to top their breaded haddock, light and fresh tasting.
The whole meal went down a treat and there were no left overs...we had to fight over the remains of the tuna ceviche, which was a major attraction.
The greatest thing about this place is that it is good for any occasion, just some drinks, just some appetizers, or the whole shebang. I will be going back soon with more friends, after all,what good is the knowledge of a great place when you can't share it?
Check things out for yourself at their website:

2 comments:

  1. I just went there. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it! It's a great place for groups...hope you had them make you some guacamole!

    ReplyDelete