Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Memorable Sunday

With good weather comes opportunity...and on Sunday this meant my first opportunity to check out SOWA, the funky farmer's/artisinal/antique market on Harrison St. in the South End.
I always love my first visit as it brings new vendors, tastes and sights. It also shows who is still around.
I was very glad to see the Nantucket Smoked Fish guy was still there. He sells the most delicious creamed fish spreads. I am a big fan of the blue fin. He also sells smoked salmon, blue fin and tuna...all of which he prepares himself!
I was glad to see Golden Rule Honey making an appearance.  They sell pure honey as well as fun flavored honey for instance their cocoa honey, which is like eating a rich chocolate bar with the sweetness of fresh honey added to the mix..genius? I think so:)
On the other side of the barn, the artists are all set up with their respective trades. I am always drawn to Shara's hand designed wallets. They come in all shapes and sizes, colours and not to mention the irresistible graphics on each. http://www.sharaporter.com/
This year, Shara was up with technology and offered all clients the option of paying with their card through this nifty gadget on her iphone. You simply tap your card on the white thingy and voilĂ ! Your credit card will be charged the amount agreed...another stroke of genius...and convenience!
Another fortĂ© of this all encompassing market is the collection of food trucks.  They have hot dog trucks, pickle trucks, and as shown above, the Grilled Cheese truck, offering traditional grilled cheeses to more gourmet options. It just may be the thing you need to get you through the antique market!
Unfortunately, my friend and I ran out of time and did not get to the antique bit...maybe it's just as well because venturing in there is always at your own risk...you never know when you will be back out again!
The SOWA market is the best place to go on a summer Sunday, especially if you have friends visiting!
All information can be found at:

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel, glad you made it to the market... I was wondering if you ran into the people that make moss frames.... remember? They were so cool. I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I did actually! They had moved and I didn't speak with them because at that point I was in a rush...there will be other Sundays:)

    ReplyDelete