Sunday, September 19, 2010

On cloud number nine...

Here's to New England, a proud group of states and cities with much to brag about when it comes to desserts. In case you are wondering where I draw this conclusion from, allow me to refresh your memory...yesterday, the 18th of September, was the day all dessert names, big and small, joined forces and allowed for the New England Dessert Showcase.  Hosted by Anthem at the Westin Copley Place, this event had been on my radar for about a month, and it did not disappoint one bit.
From the moment I entered dessert heaven-actually, from the moment I entered the floor on which it was being held- I knew I was about to experience one of the best food events I had yet experienced. My first step inside the conference room made this thought reality as I found myself staring right at the world's largest Boston Cream Pie. (Pictured above) The pie was the center piece and surrounding it were more dessert booths than I knew existed. My friend and I just walked around in awe the first time, trying to take in all the sights, smells and displays to their very last detail.  We were lucky, we got there right when it opened and were thus able to really savour every moment, indeed, I was in such a state of joy, that I thought might faint...I didn't...but I sweat I might have!
The event was true to its word, and presented a wide array of dessert aficionados, from big names such as Finale and The Melting Pot, to smaller, delivery-only companies like Cupcakory and Whirl-Ease-Tea. Most displays were very well decorated with beautifully arranged trays of cupcakes, cookies, truffles, cakes...you name it...the dessert showcase had it!
Among my favorite was a french-indian fusion dessert from Mantra, it was a mango custard-flambée with a fried doughnut drenched in hot honey...an amazing three layered mousse concoction from the Top of the Hub...Finale's blueberry cheesecake and of course...Kickass Cupcakes!
There were very interesting appearances as well like the ultra-healthy Budibars http://budibar.com/ and the Whirl-Ease-Tea sticks which would dissolve in the hot water and create a delicious pot of organic tea. strawberryhillconfectionery.com
All in all, although my heart was fluttering perhaps a little too quickly by the end of my time at the showcase, I don't think I have ever been more in my element.  I was proud to be the frugal foodista, walking around among all the other (perhaps slightly more popular) bloggers and media representatives.  All the same, I think I made my mark...even if it was perhaps more in the means of a dent in that Boston Cream Pie!

2 comments:

  1. Hi FF!

    You left your website on my mailing list but I don't have your email address to send you updates about CupcakeCamp.
    Want to send it to me? FreeFoodBOS@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I'm glad you had fun. I have to tell my sister to check out your blog. I know she loves desserts. How is dancing? I'm going to the PNB opening Friday...

    ReplyDelete